Wix Examples

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

On SourceForge, there exists a tracker for posting of examples.. (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=105970&atid=654188)

Examples posted on the SourceForge site appear to be limited to 256K.  Also, there's not much opportunity there for feedback, corrections, and elaboration as are needed to ensure top quality documentation.

As good as SourceForge is, I guess this was part of the motivation for moving Wix to CodePlex.

So, it seems this is as good a place as any to keep the contributions coming...

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this project. Tracking examples alone makes it interesting. I pulled XML from the WIX Edit project and created a sample project that just updates the assembly file version info and tracks its value by reading.writing it to an XML file. It was a lot easier than any MSNant, I mean MSBuild stuff I've seen. Would posting it here be contrary to open source ideals or in keeping with them? I would think it would be fine as long as I show where it came from. The Wix Toolkit is being used in open source and professional projects now. It's integrated into SharpDevelop too. I'm looking for VS setup project file converters. I saw a T4 template somewhere for that. If I find it and it's any good I can post it here too. Isn't there a tool for editing the MSI database called Orca once upon a time? Then again, I don't really want to know. I hear you need fair amount Windows Installer knowledge to implement custom actions correctly and even then should be avoided. That sound like opportunity knocking. Start a thread for it, get some helper classes written. If you can't recruit Mr. WIX then find a youngster with enough time on their hands to become an expert on the subject. WIX has the power to get it done but I don't have the time to learn it. WIX edit, MSBuild, and VS integration (which I have yet to find in 2012 but I assume) are all lacking and need to be shored up. Enter WIX-contrib.
Enjoy!
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Enjoy!,

If you think you have something useful to contribute, please feel free to send a pull request so we can review it.

Rob